As a species, we’ve been eating fresh fish for millions of years – since our prehistoric ancestors lived close to seas and lakes.
And, as your mum doubtless told you, fresh fish is good for you!
Decades of scientific research have proved her right – fish is one of the best sources of protein for your diet – to keep your body lean and muscles strong.
It’s also packed full of essential nutrients for good health, such as Omega-3 fatty acids, and boosts other part of your body, including your heart, liver and brain.
Here’s a breakdown of the benefits of eating fresh fish.
• Eating fish reduces the risk of suffering from a range of illnesses – from heart disease (its abundance of Omega-3 fatty acids can reduce inflammation, help protect your heart and halt chronic disease as well as lower the ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol associated with heart disease) and Alzheimer’s Disease (more fish in your diet increases your grey matter, reducing brain shrinkage and deterioration) to strokes (Omega-3 again!), autoimmune illnesses such as Type 1 Diabetes (its high Vitamin D content boosts your body’s immune system and metabolism of glucose) and some types of cancer (people with a high consumption of fish have a lower risk of digestive cancers – such as oral cavity, pharynx and colon – and pancreas cancers).
• Fish consumption lowers your blood pressure – which helps avoid heart problems. Yes, it’s the Omega-3s to thank again!
• Helps your body when you are unwell – eating fresh fish helps improve the symptoms of depression when taken SSRI medication, rheumatoid arthritis by helping reduce swelling and pain and liver disease – Omega-3 helps break down triglycerides and fatty acids in the liver, lowering the risk of fatty liver disease.
• Fish helps with symptoms of PMS – a study published by the Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics & Gynecology found that increased consumption of Omega-3 fatty acids can greatly reduce the interference of premenstrual symptoms in the daily lives of women.
• Fresh fish is one of the best dietary sources of Vitamin D – which is an essential nutrient, helps avoid illness and improves a lot of other things such as absorption of calcium for bone health and growth. That’s especially important during the Covid-19 lockdown, when you may not be able to get as much Vitamin D as normal by going out in the sun.
• Fish helps you sleep better – sleep is important for physical and mental health. Whether the cause of your trouble is getting to or staying asleep related to worries about Covid-19, or some other reason, a study published by The Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, found eating more fish improved the quality of sleep for most subjects. Researchers suspect that’s down to the high levels of Vitamin D in fish.
• Helps your exercise regime – a study published in Sports Medicine showed Vitamin D and Omega-3 (both heavily prominent in most fatty fish), play a big role in post-exercise muscle regeneration and fatigue recovery.
• Fish helps keep you slim – fish is a great source of protein without the high saturated fat content of meats. The high levels of Omega-3 in fish also by speeding up your metabolism – how quickly you process food – so you’re less likely to convert it into fat. It’s been shown to boost resting and exercise metabolic rates, as well as fat oxidation, in older women.
• It helps teens with their concentration and attention span – a study published in Nutritional Journal found students aged 14 and 15 who ate fatty fish instead of meat had higher rates of concentration and were able to pay attention longer compared to those who ate less of it. Whether they use that for their schoolwork or gaming, is up to them!
• Fish helps improve your vision and general eye health – the Omega-3 fatty acids in fish help because the brain and eyes are heavily concentrated in Omega-3 and need them to maintain their health and function.
• Fish helps fight acne – whether it’s hormonal or adult acne, a study published by BioMed Central noted that fish oil is beneficial to clearing skin for people with moderate to severe acne.
With so many health benefits, there’s no excuse for not eating plenty of fresh fish, like the high-quality, sustainably wild-caught Langoustine tails, haddock, halibut, monkfish, Lemon Sole, Hake, Coley and Sea bass we supply.
They all come fresh with full provenance – from sea to plate – and are hand-filleted, skinned and vacuum-packed by the top industry experts using the best processing equipment available.
Just choose the size of box you want and we’ll do the rest to get this health food to you and your family pronto!
Sign up to our email-listing to receive our weekly specials and enjoy your fish!